Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Songs of a Black Violation - Celebrating Depeche Mode History

Depeche Mode. They are one of the most influential, moving, and soulful, bands in the world. In the span of just 5 days, 3 pivotal Depeche Mode albums celebrated big birthdays.

Songs of Faith and Devotion became old enough to vote.

Violator hit the legal drinking age.

Black Celebration can now rent a car.

While the legions of devoted fans have their own "favorite" album, or top 5 list, the three albums listed above are the ones that top, or nearly top most of those lists. They are defining moments in Depeche Mode history. They each turn the page in sound. They are classics that have held, and will continue to hold, their own throughout the halls of music.

 

For me, these three albums will each hold a different place in my heart.

I was 14 when Black Celebration came out 25 years ago. To be honest, I don't remember what my first thought was. I do know that it quickly became an important album in my life. By 16, "But Not Tonight" was the song that, all these years later, would be my song - my go to song when I was down, my feel good song, my favorite song. I can't think of one note of one song that I don't like on this album. It was my #1 for many years and still ranks in my top 5.

21 years and counting, Violator is a classic Depeche Mode album, and another one of my favorites. Sweetest Perfection, one of the song titles on this album, is the perfect way to describe Violator in my eyes. I was working in a small record store when this album came out and I played it, and played it, and played it - our regular customers had to be tired of it, I'm sure. But I didn't care. I couldn't get enough of it then and I still can't get enough of it now.

I have a long, mixed emotion history with SOFAD - to long to explain here. But I will say, 18 years on, I appreciate this album much more now than I did when it came out. And it took a while to get here. There are songs that have always moved me - "Judas" and "One Caress" being two of them. Even when I didn't think I could listen to other songs on this album, those two were always with me.

HAPPY 18TH, 21ST, and 25TH BIRTHDAYS SOFAD, VIOLATOR, & BC! You are loved.

 

Thank you for reading from Rdwnggrl's World!

No comments: