Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pride & No Prejudice - Making History with NOH8

On November 4, 2008, the State of California passed Prop 8, amending their ban on same-sex marriage. As a silent protest, the NOH8 Campaign began, created by photographer Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley. The campaign featured people getting their pictures taken with duct tape over their mouths and NOH8 painted on one cheek, symbolic of the voices of the LGBT community and their supporters being silenced by the passage of Prop 8.

On November 4, 2011, the NOH8 photo campaign was still going strong and making one of it's many nationwide stops - this time in Denver, Colorado. And I got to be there.

The photo shoot took place at the GLBT Community Center of Denver. My friend Leon and I got there a bit after the 1pm start time, and didn't have to wait long to be a part of photographic history. We got our temporary tattoos placed on our cheeks while we waited. Then came the photo shoot. It was quick. Very quick. Adam gave me a quick hello, placed the duct tape over my mouth told me how to pose, then click, click, click of the camera, followed by another pose, a few more clicks on the camera, and I was done. Next up, Leon!

We were in and out of the Center in no time, yet I felt a bigger sense of pride than I have felt at most any other time in my life. The birth of my son will always be my proudest moment. This event will forever be toward the top as well. I have been an ally of the LGBT community since I was young. I have spoken out for gay marriage even before it was a topic that the general public wanted to talk about. Yet, this brief moment in time gave me the opportunity to feel like I did something that could and would make a difference.

Now we wait, up to 8 weeks for the photos to be available through the NOH8 website. All of the photos in this campaign have been amazing, and I can't wait to see ours.

Thank you NOH8 Campaign for coming to Denver, for allowing us to be a part of something so special, and for doing what you do. I am honored and humbled by this incredible experience.

302102_10150896966530284_489465705283_20820323_1821821500_n
Waiting for the photo shoot. Photo courtesy of the GLBT Community Center of Denver Facebook Page.

~ Stacy

 

Thank you for reading from Rdwnggrl's World.

No comments: